This simple bug hotel is the perfect habitat for butterflies, bees, ladybirds and any other small inhabitants of your garden. It’s easy to make and fun for kids of all ages!
What you will need
Small plastic bottle, scissors, string, garden canes, hacksaw.
What to do
- Ask an adult to cut the top and bottom off your plastic bottle so you have a nice tube shape.
- Ask and adult to cut the canes, long enough so they just fit inside your bottle, you don’t want them hanging out at the ends.
- Put the canes into your bottle, make sure you pack them in well so they don’t fall out.
- Tie some string around the bottle so you can hang it up.
- Hang the bottle outside in a tree or on a fence, in the shade is best.
- You could try putting other things into the bottle, like sticks or rolled up cardboard, and see if you get different beasties visiting your bug hotel.