Our top 5 tips for growing super successful seeds
- It’s obvious – but follow all the instructions on your seed packet
- Start your seeds in a small pot… you could recycle old egg cartons, which can be planted straight into the ground. If possible your seeds would LOVE to be planted in some nice seed sowing compost
- When the seeds begin to grow – you’ll see the green shoots. Time to start getting excited, your bumper crop is on the way
- As soon as the shoots are looking healthy and sturdy it is time to move them from the small pots, they are ready to go into the ground. Remember; if they are in an old egg carton simply plant the whole thing!
- Just like you, little seedlings need to be happy so make sure you keep them warm and do not forget to water the seeds often and lightly.
- I know we said there were only 5 tips but just one more for fun! If you are not sure about any of our tips ask someone for help… why should you do all the work!
Word Buster! What do the words on the seed packets mean?
- Shallow drills – This simply means a shallow line in the soil in which to plant your seeds or seedlings.
- Thinning or Thinning Out – If you plant your seeds too close together, when they begin growing (point 3. above!) they could become crowded. Thinning out means gently separating the green shoots and planting them further apart.