Are you looking for a volunteering role to develop practical experience in the environmental sector, that gives you access to both online and hands-on training?
Want to give something back to the environment?
Gain experience in the environmental sector?
Then becoming a VO with The Conservation Volunteers could be the opportunity you have been waiting for!
What is a Volunteer Officer?
A Volunteer Officer (or VO) will offer a regular amount of time to work with TCV and play an integral part in the smooth running of conservation projects. There are three distinct roles that a VO at Richmond will undertake:
- Pre-project planning: risk assessments, site surveys, etc
- Leading and assisting on project days
- Matters associated with the day to day running of the office including fundraising and PR.
But you can pick and choose what you would like to do – maybe even develop some new areas of interest for TCV in Richmond
What you need:
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals, driven to connect people with green spaces. At The Conservation Volunteers, an enthusiasm for the environment is the only qualification you need! So whether you want to gain extra practical experience or you work part time and want to take a break from the office, you can still become a VO.
How much time?
2-4 days per week. To complete 100 days of volunteering within 6 to 12 months. We are running sessions 10am – 3:30pm Monday – Friday with some weekend work outside of these times. We can contribute expenses to travel to our office, plus assistance moving between work sites.
What’s in it for me?
- The placement offers broad experience entering an environmental career. A comprehensive training programme will be delivered through formal courses and working alongside experienced practitioners. This will include Leadership on day Projects, First Aid, Practical Tools Use, Health & Safety, Risk Assessment, Safeguarding, Equality and Diversity, Data Protection Awareness and more. You will have access to TCV’s online training system as well as practical, hands on experience.
- Becoming a VO is a proven way into the environmental sector with 45% of our VOs finding employment in the sector after their time with The Conservation Volunteers.
- Working in the outdoors and making a positive change to the environment is extremely fulfilling.
- You will be working with other VOs and volunteers as part of a close-knit team in a friendly working atmosphere.
You will be supported in your role by experienced staff through regular meetings where issues can be resolved and guidance provided. You will have all reasonable expenses covered (foreign travel excepted) so will not be out of pocket through your volunteering. You will be insured and expected to comply with the policies and procedures of The Conservation Volunteers.
Where roles will be responsible for others, we need to check your references. When the role involves young people and vulnerable adults, we will need to ask for an Enhanced Disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau, Central Registered Body in Scotland or appropriate body in Northern Ireland.
Many people who work in the Environmental Sector have used a Volunteer Officer role as a stepping stone in their career.
Current VO vacancies
The Conservation Volunteers in Richmond and the Reclaiming the Riverside Project aims to take on 2 or 3 Volunteer Officers at a time and has positions available on a regular basis.
For further details and an application pack please contact Judith Ressler . J.Ressler@tcv.org.uk or 07483050759.