Research shows that:
- 100% of participants surveyed during the current National Evaluation agree that taking part in the Green Gym has benefited their mental health, boosting self-esteem and confidence through learning new skills and completing new tasks
- Green Gym provides moderate physical activity: People who are regularly active at this level are 50% less likely to suffer from a heart attack or stroke than inactive people
- Working out in green spaces is a great way to relieve stress and can help to combat depression
- Taking part in the Green Gym improves muscle strength, which is particularly important for older people, helping to maintain independence in later life
- Participants report feeling fitter and having more energy than before
- Almost a third more calories can be burnt in an hour of some Green Gym activities than in doing a step aerobics class
More detailed research findings are available here.
People have many different reasons for joining their local Conservation Volunteers Green Gym.
Whatever the reason for choosing the Green Gym, everyone is welcomed into their local group. Find your nearest Green Gym and contact them to see how you can get involved.